Friday, June 13, 2008

Home in Guaymas

Whewww...the last couple of days have been busy while we have been unpacking and settling in. We met the neighbor guys...they do something with boats although we´re not sure what. That darn language thing...but Mike is very good at pantomime! And it´s funny that they are so afraid of Sitka. In fact, most people on the street are afraid of her - maybe there are very few German shepherds in Mexico??

Now that we have a few of our own possessions unpacked it really is beginning to feel like home. It´s hard to believe that we left Duvall on May 15th. And for a minute I wondered if we had made a bad decision in changing our entire lives and moving here - and I think this was the first time in months I doubted our decision. But one of the first things we did was hook up the stereo. A little Bob Dylan, Pearl Jam and Jimmy Buffett fixed me right up!

And we finally got to meet Bliss who lives in San Carlos (about 15 miles from here). She is the first blogger I´ve been able to meet. It is neat to see a blogger come to life...one thing I´ll miss is internet access in the apt, but maybe we can get it hooked up!

I interviewed at an elementary school today for 2 English teaching positions. This is a lot different than the adult English school in Mexico City. Now I know some of you are laughing when imagining me with 20 or so kids, but keep an open mind! Mike is thinking he´d rather do something physical so if anyone has any ideas or leads, please let us know!

And here´s a funny story...remember that Mexican cop in Nuevo Laredo that wanted to give me a ticket for driving down a one-way street (or so he claimed)? Well, a cop in Guaymas pulled me over as I was just about to drive down an authentic one-way street. Yeah, he had his lights flashing and siren blaring. He had me roll down my window and then he smiled. He stopped traffic coming 3 ways and let me back out of my mess. No ticket, no attempt at bribery, just a nice cop looking at a truck from Washington and he gave me a break. I waved and waved at him as I drove off!

That´s it for now...stay tuned for more from Guaymas!

6 comments:

Nancy said...

So how do you feel now? Do you like Guaymas? What about the teaching job? Does it seem like something you'll like? The apartment? The weather?

It's a lot to take in...is there any way that you can not work for a while to get your equilibrium a bit or do you need to get a job right away?

Anyway, I'm sure you'll write more about the way you are feeling and how you think you'll stucture things but I hope you know we are all pulling for you.

Take care and try not to stress too much!

Steve Cotton said...

I had the same question that Nancy asked. How are you enjoying the weather? It is the one factor that still concerns me about moving to the Mexico coast. As fellow Pacific northwesteners, I am interested in your opinion. Of course, I will find out for myself in just a month.

Nancy is correct. We are all pulling for you. But I think you know that from the posts over the past two weeks.

1st Mate said...

There are a LOT of one-way streets in Guaymas, and not always properly marked. You have to look which way all the cars are pointing! And heaven help you if there aren't any cars parked nearby.

When Brenda gets back on the 23rd, let's organize a get-together: you, Brenda, me and Ale.

Beth said...

I was wondering that too! HAHA

Would it be possible for you guys to take so time for yourselves to relax and get used to things before jumping in to a job? Just curious, because I'd be all about having some time to unwind and enjoy everything before getting down to business!

Can't wait to see pictures and read more about how things are progressing.

Unknown said...

I had been in Guaymas once or twice and i have to say it's a very nice place. And i love the smell of the ocean. Maybe we get a chance to meet sometime. I actually started a Blog about Obregon Sonora, if you want to check it out you can find it under: www.weloveosonora.com.

Brenda Maas said...

We haven't had any problems with the police here; but then we rarely drive either.
I have had the police stop 4 lanes of traffic for me so that I could cross the street though. lol. Really cool. This has happened several times and never ceases to amaze me.