Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Seattle Mariners

For many years I was a bartender in downtown Seattle in the area that had the old Kingdome, a domed stadium and the home for many Seattle sporting events. Professional sports played a large part in my life and in my livlihood...a bartender made a lot of tips when the home team was winning!

The Kingdome was imploded years ago and it was replaced with Quest Field for the Seattle Seahawks football team and Safeco Field for the Seattle Mariners baseball team. These 2 new structures are state of the art, very different than the Kingdome.



View of Safeco Field from above. It has a automated roof that extends and retracts (opens and closes) depending on the lovely Seattle weather.

View of Safeco Field with the Seattle skyline, including the Space Needle from the Seattle World's Fair in 1962. It's amazing the Space Needle has withstood the earthquakes here over the years. The Space Needle was very innovative for its time and there is a restaurant toward the top that does a complete rotation once every hour!


Last night I went to what was probably my last Mariner's game before I move to Mexico City. And it was very interesting. I couldn't believe how much food is sold and eaten there. Of course, there are the traditional hot dogs, peanuts, and beer but there is sooooo much more. Fish and chips, clam chowder, garlic french fries, BBQ, hamburgers, cotton candy, ice cream, pretzels, fruit dipped in chocolate, and of course espresso drinks. It is overwhelming. And everyone is eating all game long!

I also noticed the trains blowing in the background. There is a train station right behind Safeco Field so all night you hear trains coming and going. It's weird because I never, ever remember hearing trains anywhere else in Seattle - just at Safeco Field.

And the Mariners...they lost last night to Kansas City (5 to 1), but right now the Mariners are leading 11-6. Go Mariners. I remember the days when you couldn't give away a Mariners ticket. But ever since the 2001 season when the Mariners TIED THE RECORD for the most wins in a single season with 116 Seattle has rallied around the team.

I wish I could be here when they win the World Series. Maybe I'll have to come home for that game...

No comments: