Monday, March 14, 2011

Seeds, Seeds, Seeds!

Saturday’s pancake breakfast fundraiser for the Alderwood Manor Heritage Association was a great success – and the food was good too!


Here are Cheryl and Kevin – doesn’t Cheryl look like a restaurant manager??



We saw a few friends and relatives also enjoying their pancake breakfast…here is Cheryl and Kevin’s mom, Marlene, and their dad, Karl. Thanks to everyone who supported the fundraiser. I understand there is a chicken dinner in the fall - I’ll have to get more info about that event…

After our breakfast Mike and I did some shopping. We’ve been thinking about our garden and what to plant this year. We’re going to get a jump-start on it and get our soil in shape before planting. I have so many ideas in my head about the garden even though I know Mike will be the master gardener this year since I’ll be at work.


These are the seeds I bought yesterday - except the Oregon wildflowers that were a gift from Cheryl. Now I have to think of where to plant them all.

One thing we are going to do is to supplement the soil with Starbucks coffee grounds. The Starbucks closest to us saves the spent grounds for gardeners and we’re hoping we can get in on that. If anyone has any hints about how coffee grounds have helped in your garden, let us know!

4 comments:

Brenda Maas said...

I always used coffee grounds in the rows with the seeds for root veggies, such as radish,onions, beets, turnips, etc.. The coffee grounds seem to be a deterrent for insects that bore into the forming veggie.. I found it worked really well.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Hi Brenda - I'll remember that when we plant. We don't use any pesticides so hopefully the coffee grounds will help. Thanks for the idea!

GlorV1 said...

The coffee grounds is a great idea. I'm going to start using it. As a young girl, I remember my step-mom giving me the grounds and asking me to put in with the soil where the garden was. Thanks for reminding me. Hope all is good with you and yours. You are going to have fun with all those seeds. Start them out in containers, your best bet and then plant them when the growth is a good size. Your friend does look like a manager, tee hee.:) Nice photos, take care and have a great rest of the week.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Hi Glo - THANK YOU for reminding me to start my seeds inside now! We're really excited about a new garden this year.