Friday, March 18, 2011

Changes in the ‘Hood, Part II

“Our world is about to get rocked…” That’s what Mike said to me on Monday after he told me about our neighbor committing suicide. (See the previous post.)

First of all, Mike was able to tell me the neighbor’s name. And I felt better about at least knowing the guy’s name (I’ll keep that confidential in respect to the neighbor’s family). Secondly, Mike was also able to tell me the dog’s name. And I felt better about knowing the dog’s name, which is Rock. Not Rocky, not Roche (French for rock), but just plain Rock. Lastly, Mike told me exactly what was in the suicide note.

Mike knew exactly what was in the note because he met the neighbor’s family members on Monday. The neighbor’s sister read part of it to Mike: “Would you ask my neighbor in the building directly across from me – his name is Mike – if he would take care of Rock?”

HOLY COW! When we said good-bye to Sitka last July I never thought we would have another dog. But how in the world could Mike deny our neighbor’s request? Well, of course he couldn't and I couldn’t either. So guess who moved in with us?

8 comments:

GlorV1 said...

Oh wow M & C! So he trusted in you both that you would provide a home for his Roche. I hope you will post a picture of Roche and God Bless You both for taking Roche in. If you hadn't done that, well you know where he would have gone. Pray for your neighbor and don't feel guilty about anything. A part of him is in Roche in a sense. Take care and have a great weekend.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Hi Glo,

His name is actually just Rock. Cute, huh? Of course, I’ll be posting pics of Rock…I just have to finish the story about Changes in the ‘Hood…there is more to tell and Part III will follow!

Steve Cotton said...

It is odd how we get these littles nudges to keep moving on in our lives. And the two of you certainly have had your share of nudges.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Hi Steve,

We've thought a lot about you this week...dog? no dog? dog? no dog? What to do? This one was a no-brainer.

We just never know what live has in store for us, huh?

Michael Dickson said...

This is really weird. But I know Rock is getting a good new home.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Hello Señor Zapata – Weird? The weird part has yet to be told. And I would agree that Rock got a nice, new home. But don't forget, Mike and I got a nice, new friend.

Julie said...

What? No picture. That is sooooo not like you.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Time, my friend, time...