Saturday, July 31, 2010

Skating, Part Deux

Last Sunday Mike and I tried out our new used rollerblades for the first time. It was difficult. But we didn’t fall down.

Tuesday morning we headed back to the deserted school parking lot and gave it another try. I was feeling quite confident but while going around the curve of the parking lot I lost control and fell hard on my left buttock. Ouch. It hurt! I barely made it back to the bench and thought that was enough for me that day.

We talked about the danger of learning with the possibility of hitting asphalt regularly and came up with another idea. Why not begin with regular roller skates at an indoor rink and build up to rollerblades outside? Duh. And maybe even take lessons?

So yesterday we headed to Skate King – and indoor rink where you can use either regular roller skates (also called quads I found out – 4 wheels…get it?) or inline skates (commonly called rollerblades, but Rollerblade is actually a brand of inline skates – sorry, I’m just learning about the sport!)


When we got there we were happy to see only about 10 kids skating around. The rink was all lite up and Michael Jackson was belting out Billie Jean. We traded our shoes for skates and sat down to put them on. When I got up it was such a nice difference from the inline skates – I was able to stand right up!

Just as Mike was finishing lacing his skates, we heard a commotion. It was a busload of Boys/Girls Club kids racing for skates and putting them on. There were about 50 of them!! HA We weren’t going to have a nice, peaceful rink to ourselves after all.

No problema. Mike and I got out on the rink and began slowly by using the rail and then the wall as we got used to roller skating. Before we knew it we had made it around the rink. And we kept going. And going. Pretty soon we were swinging our arms and getting a rhythm going. Now don’t get me wrong…there were moments of embarrassment and “near falls.” Plus, I almost took out a kid or 2, but it was a lot easier to maintain our balance on roller skates than with inline skates. After all, we had quads on, and the wheels are spread out differently.


Mike getting his bearings.


Yours truly hugging the wall.


Now he’s groovin'!


“Look, Ma…no hands!”

All in all we had a great time with NO FALLS for either of us. Our bodies are achy this morning, but not bruised. This is definitely the way to work up to inline skating!

5 comments:

Tancho said...

Aaaah...is this going to replace another mode of transportation or are you grabbing at midlife crisis?
Your new found adventuring may push me to the edge of buying a motorcycle..... So I will hold you personally responsible.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Hi Tancho,

Just this morning I heard Jimmy Buffett singing, "I'm growing up, but not older..."

That's our mantra!

And if Mike's brain cyst didn't prevent him from driving, he'd be at the Harley store making a deal on a new bike...

Anonymous said...

glad you guys enjoyed yourselves. now do you see what i meant when i said i had a hard time keeping my ankles straight on inline skates (thank's for the education on the correct name ;-)

overdid it in the yard this morning and my back is so sore. if it werent' that we have company coming for dinner, i'd be taking a nap. i should have listened to you and not overdone it. what i thought would take about a half hour, took 3 instead and i didn't even finish. digging holes in our yard is like trying to dig on the sidewalk, even with, The Claw, which my neighbor lent me.

so, i can't help but think you didn't get the last e-mail. i replied right after i got yours yesterday;-( ugghhh! i hope we don't start going through that again.

teresa

GlorV1 said...

Hi Cynthia and Mike. Wow! That's pretty good. I haven't roller skated since the middle to late
70's when all that disco music was out. Congratulations, but be careful. You don't want any broken bones. Have fun and enjoy yourselves. Good week ahead to you.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Teresa - Hope your dinner went well last night. I still have a big bruise on my butt from the fall on the inline skates on Tuesday!

Gloria - It's the music that makes me skate faster and faster! And to answer your question from your blog - no, I haven't found a job yet, but I'm still looking! This week I have an appt with a temp firm that does legal placements so hopefully I'll get something going soon.