Monday, August 2, 2010

Sea Kayaking

Last year I wrote about my secret birthday present for Mike and how it turned out. And then there was the surprise birthday party in Guaymas in 2008. (He still wears that cowboy hat on occassion!)

Well, there are no secrets this year. Last week I booked a sea kayaking excursion for the two of us in the beautiful San Juan Islands, north of Seattle, bordering Canadian waters. And even though Mike’s birthday isn’t until September 18th, we will be sea kayaking tomorrow!

We’ll be in a 2-person kayak with Mike “steering.” I think that means he sits in the back of the kayak. We get a short lesson about kayaking (we’ve done it once before on Lake Union in downtown Seattle) and then off we go with about 4 other kayaks and the guide for 3 hours exploring Friday Harbor.

And are you wondering why I booked the trip so far from Mike’s birthday? Well, now is the best time to see eagles, seals, porpoise and ORCA WHALES! In fact, there is a 90% chance that we’ll see orcas since the water is full of migrating salmon, the orcas’ favorite treat. I can’t wait. With any luck I’ll have tons of pics to post!

3 comments:

Steve Cotton said...

I look forward to hearing about the day. The islands are a great place to kayak. When we sail up that way, I see plenty of them skimming from island to island.

GlorV1 said...

I too look forward to hearing about this day. It should be tons of fun for your both. I need to do something exciting too. Thanks for sharing. I can hardly wait to see the photos.

Anonymous said...

Hope you can take pictures while on the water - can't wait for that blog. Nice to hear from you so often. Good blogging Cynthia!
Love Betty & Ron