Monday, August 16, 2010

Alki Point

This morning Mike loaded our bikes onto our bike rack and we took off for Alki in West Seattle. We headed south on I-5, took the West Seattle Bridge, got off on Admiral Way, and looked back at the city.


Now I know why Jimi Hendrix sang Purple Haze...


We parked the truck, unloaded the bikes and biked west on Alki Avenue. We cruised past Alki Beach Park and turned onto Beach Drive.


Years ago I had friends who lived at Harbor West Condos and I remember the sound and feel of the waves splashing hard against the pilings.

The houses, condos and apartment buildings are either very quaint or quite unusual…following are some of the ones I found interesting.


I just love the blue and white color combo.


This one looks like a cozy beach cottage.


Here's a tall, skinny house making the most of a narrow lot.


Colorful condo.


Dark condo that just seemed out of place on Alki.


My favorite!


And I guess these neighbors have a real “keeping up with the Joneses” attitude.


The sun was shining and the waters of Puget Sound were as blue as could be. I was surprised to see this kayaker so far out.


And I was even more surprised to see this lone diver getting ready to enter the water solo.


We came back around to Alki Drive and then went east to Harbor Avenue. Mike took a break on the stairs that lead right into the water...until the tide goes out...and then the stairs lead to the beach.


The water was very, very clean and clear.


I never get tired of seeing ferries. They are such a vital part of the transportation story in Seattle.


And here are a couple of alternative types of “beach transportation.”


Can you see the small, colorful “balloon” with the little thing dangling from it? That’s someone parasailing – being towed by the white boat right over Elliott Bay in downtown Seattle!


We stopped before turning back and gazed over at the city.


This is Alki Beach and it was filling with people for an afternoon in the sun. We parked our bikes and relaxed on the beach for a while, never tiring of watching all the wacky people. I waded in the water, but it was TOO COLD for me to go swimming.



And that was our day at Alki. It is so different from our neighborhood that it was like a little one-day vacation. Hope you liked it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great pictures cynthia! i've only been to alki once but you make me want to go back. wow-i thought i liked flowers but those swiss chalet type houses certainly beat me.

are you off on another adventure today? have a great one, whatever you do.

teresa