Sunday, April 4, 2010

The Oregon Garden

Years ago (almost 30) I learned how to tend bar. And of my many mentors, my favorite was Sheryl. Sheryl was the best bartender I knew and I learned a lot from her. We worked together in a couple of different restaurants and, as a coincidence, I later worked with her identical twin sister, Sheila, who also was a bartender. Even more coincidental is that both Sheryl and Sheila are now teachers – just like my short-term career in Mexico!


Sheila and Sheryl or is it Sheryl and Sheila??

I had not seen either of them for several years. But last week Sheryl told me that they would be spending 2 nights at The Oregon Garden (there is a beautiful resort/spa on the property) and we made plans to meet there. So today Mike and I drove to Silverton, Oregon (15 miles or so from Salem) where The Oregon Garden is located.

The place is HUGE and in addition to the Rose Garden, the Northwest Garden, the Sensory Garden and the Pet Friendly Garden are more than 20 specialty gardens and features. Unfortunately, it was raining hard during our visit so we didn’t tour any of the gardens…next time!

But the rain was good for visiting in the lounge with a mammoth, double-sided fireplace blazing next to the couches. Sheryl and Sheila are very animated and entertaining. And I never get tired of hearing about their adventures. It was a wonderful afternoon with them.

And next time we really will walk around the gardens and take lots of pictures. But here is one little guy we saw.

2 comments:

Ron and Betty said...

I see in our newspaper that April 17th there is an Earth Day Celebration at the Oregon Gardens with only canned food for enterance fee. If it is nice - We want to go - Maybe you want to join us? Nice article about the
Garden.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

No can do - I have a date on the 17th with my "other Cheryl" (from Seattle). We're going to Portland with Cheryl's 2 grown daughters to see the Dream Girls musical and spend the night in downtown Portland! GIRLS NIGHT OUT!!!