Sunday, April 18, 2010

Dreamgirls at Keller Auditorium, Portland, Oregon


I had a “dreamgirls” weekend and I loved it!

Friday started off as another “furlough Friday” for me and most other Oregon state workers – no work, but no pay. I hate those days because 2 days' work awaits me on Monday morning.

On that same day, best friend Cheryl and oldest daughter Maggie (who begins law school at Seattle University in June) drove down from the Seattle area and checked into the Westin in downtown Portland. Coming from Eugene was Cheryl’s younger daughter, Abbie, who goes to the University of Oregon.

Meanwhile on Saturday morning I packed an overnight bag and zipped north to meet “my girls.” I got there around 10:00 and Cheryl and I walked the neighborhood until we found a nice place to have a late breakfast. I told Cheryl the details of Mike’s and my return to Seattle next month. It will be nice to have Cheryl close by again!

Before long the 4 of us walked the short distance to Keller Auditorium for the 2:00 performance of the Apollo Theater musical, Dreamgirls. As we waited in the lobby, observing other theater attendees, we got a kick out of the fashion “dos” and “do nots” – there was quite an eclectic mix of patrons. (Yeah, I know…I’m no fashionista myself, but I do ask Mike for feedback and I think everyone should take a good look in a mirror before heading out the door.) Abbie sat next to me and we had to hide our giggles more than once.

The show was pretty good. Maggie had some negative feedback about the dancing (having danced herself for many years), but the singing was loud and strong.

After the show we searched for a place for dinner and we decided on Brassier Montmarte, a lovely, little French restaurant that had some happy hour specials. I hadn’t had any in years, but I tried the French onion soup (when in France…) and it was very delish!

Cheryl, Maggie, Abbie, Yours Truly

We finished with an ice cream cone for Abbie at Baskin and Robbins before heading back to the Westin. The girls went to their room and Cheryl and I watched the end of the Mariners game in our room. (They beat Detroit, bringing their win/loss record to 6/6.)

We woke early this morning and laid in bed watching early Sunday morning news before hitting the shower. Cheryl, Maggie and Abbie had plans to meet relatives for breakfast before heading their separate ways. The valet parkers brought our 3 vehicles around, we said our goodbyes and I blazed home to Salem.

It was a dreamgirls weekend in more ways than one. I loved the vibrancy of downtown Portland and was happy to get a taste of our upcoming move back to Seattle. THANK YOU CHERYL!

3 comments:

Mic said...

What a fun weekend!!

Just curious, do you think staying downtown Portland as much fun as staying downtown Seattle??

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

HELLO Wasilla! Mic - I'd have to say that I've always enjoyed staying in downtown Seattle because it meant I didn't have to drive home! But I also enjoyed Portland because there were new things to see.

Overall - Seattle beats any city I have ever visited (now bear in mind that I have been to Ketchikan, Juneau, the Kenai penisula, Anchorage, but never Wasilla..., not yet anyway!)

Portland and Seattle are very similar. But Seattle is where my heart is. The Cascade Mountains with Mt. Rainier to the east and the Olympic Mountains with Hurricane Ridge to the west; ferries galore; the Space Needle and the Seattle Center; Pioneer Square and the multitude of music venues; and Pike Place Market - I've been to all of those places and I can't wait to visit again!

Linda Lou and Senor, Too said...

what a fun trip and great photo. You all really look like you are enjoying yourselves!!!LL