Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Beach

First of all – we haven’t found Sitka yet. We hear so many dogs barking at night and we wonder if one of them is her. We only hope that she found a nice family that is taking good care of her. That’s all I can write without breaking down.

Secondly, we had a three-day weekend as Mexico celebrated Revolution Day yesterday (with the actual date being Nov 20.) Mexico has recently instigated the three-day weekend policy and I’m happy about that! I had completed my Lesson Plans last Friday night so I had THREE WHOLE DAYS that I didn’t even think about school!! Not that I don’t like it…it just is a lot of work.

Thirdly, there are just some things that we cannot find here in Guaymas. One is a replacement bulb for my desk lamp at home. I probably went to six stores looking for a replacement and there is not one in Guaymas. So Saturday morning we gassed up the truck and drove 85 miles to Hermosillo – the closest big city. I knew there was a Home Depot there and I found my replacement bulb! I was so excited I bought a “three pack.” Then we went to a Mega store that has just about everything. I almost cried when I found TOFU there! I’ll be making a stir fry later this evening…

Lastly, one reason Mike and I moved to Mexico was to enjoy the beach! And we haven’t done that lately. So Sunday we packed up the truck with our cooler, tuna sandwiches and apples, beach chairs, towels, teacher Richard from Scotland and teacher Crystal from Maine. We headed past San Carlos to Las Algodones (about 15 miles from here) – a beautiful white sand beach with very few people on it. We got in the water several times. The water wasn’t as warm as it was in the summer, but it was clean and it felt great!

So I am on a new mission to complete my Lesson Plans on weeknights waaaayyy before they are due. That way I can have my weekends to goof off. That said, I need to begin on my Lesson Plans for the week of Dec 1. More beach stories to follow…

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there,

I'm at bamagryphon@aol.com and your blog really encouraged me to apply to your school. I would like to email you and discuss about it further. Watched the utubes and it looks great.

Give me a mail, would love to talk about living in Guaymas

1st Mate said...

Cynthia - I'm glad you and Mike took a beach break and enjoyed your day. I know it wasn't easy to put Sitka out of your mind and allow yourself to have fun. I also hope she is being loved and cared for.

Brenda Maas said...

Glad you finally had some time for some fun.
Still hoping for you that Sitka will make her way home somehow.

Frankly Ronda said...

Good idea for the lesson plans - hope it works so you get your weekends back!

Nola Kim said...

I'm glad you took some time to enjoy yourself. (((hugs)))