Thursday, January 7, 2010

Food Bank Fundraisers

Since May when I began working for the State of Oregon’s Employment Department and talking to Oregon citizens that are battling for Unemployment Insurance benefits, I have heard many poignant and heartbreaking stories. Due to the depressed economy people are losing their jobs, homes, and sometimes their children are sent to live with relatives because families are unable to provide for their own children. It really gets to me. But an opportunity has arisen and I’m up for the challenge.

The February 2010 State Employees Food Drive begins on February 1st and I have volunteered to be the Food Drive Coordinator for the Employment Appeals Board. There is a huge need for food assistance here in Oregon. In fact, there has been a 30% increase in the demand for emergency food boxes in some parts of the state. Plus, 36% of those eating from emergency food boxes were children. And, just $10 provides a 3-5 day supply of food for a family.

That said, I need to start brainstorming ideas about how to get my office to participate so that we can collect money and food for our local food bank. We are a small team of just 10 and I need ideas for fundraisers. And I mean besides just asking for $$ or cans of food. I wonder what other activities we could do to raise money…

Who has some ideas??? Who has done this before and what worked for you?? I would love to hear from you with a comment on the blog or with an email to me at chizillin@att.net. Thank you and I will post about the fundraising so that other people may benefit from our experience.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

cynthia,

steve has done some big fundraisers at our church and work so i will ask him for some ideas. i'm sure i could come up with a few myself.

sorry for not e-mailing recently. i've been busy with the kids. chris left yesterday. matt will be here till monday. i took some time off work so i could do things with them.

oh here's an idea. i once dedicated a half marathon to a little girl who needed heart surgery and i got people to sponsor me. i know you're not a runner, but since you enjoy riding your bike, maybe you can set a goal to ride 10 miles and have people sponsor you. just a thought.

i'll e-mail soon, hopefully with more suggestions.

teresa

Ron and Betty said...

Congrats on your commitment Cynthia! I will give it some thought and I am sure you will do an awesome job. Proud to have you in Salem!

Betty Rosevear said...

Hi Cynthia, I would be happy to help you with an Avon fund-raiser. Basically each person that is participating takes an Avon brochure and gets orders. I give you 40% of the profit. It's fun and easy. You can contact me at bettyavon@aol.com or 503 623-5817. I have been an Avon representative for 12 years and have done many fund-raisers. Thanks, Betty Rosevear