Saturday, December 8, 2007

Cintia y el carro

About 5 weeks ago we sold our Toyota truck and bought a Nissan truck that has an extended cab so we can take our dog, Sitka, with us to Mexico. I have been driving the new truck a lot and although it is longer and more challenging to maneuver in tight spaces I feel confident driving it. Or should I say I FELT confident until Thursday night…

I had Sitka in the back, inside the canopy, and Mike in the passenger seat as we were about to head out to run an errand. I took off, and hit the remote garage door opener/closer to close the garage. However, the truck had not yet cleared the garage door and we heard a loud BOOM as the garage door slammed down onto the canopy rear window (which was in the “up” position.) WHOOPS. The window shattered and there was broken glass all over the driveway. Sitka was okay so we took her out, cleaned up and went on our way. Except that I felt like a dummy for making such a stupid mistake.

Mike spent Friday making calls to get the window replaced and I laid low – not knowing the worst was yet to come.

Mike and I came home after shopping on Friday and he jumped out of the truck at the top of our driveway so he could bring our garbage can down to the house. I whipped the truck around and began backing down the driveway (which I do every single day – back down into the garage.) For reasons unknown, I hit the gas pedal and looked in my side view mirror to guide myself down the winding driveway. In hindsight, I should have looked in the rear view mirror – to remind myself that Mike was pushing the garbage can down the driveway.

In a heartbeat I heard a crashing sound which was the garbage can hitting the asphalt. I could not see Mike – only his baseball cap several feet from the back of the truck. I thought I was going to get sick. I put the brake on, turned off the engine, and jumped out of the truck. I found Mike about 10 feet from the truck, kinda balled up, but moving. He pulled himself up and asked what in the heck was I doing. I could not believe it, but I had backed right into Mike’s back and thrown him down the driveway. By some miracle, he was “okay.” Shaken up, bruised, achy, but no broken bones – and no head injury – I hope.

So we spent some time in the hot tub soothing his bruised body. He is a little cranky with me (duh), but I think he will be fine. I just hope that I have not jinxed the Nissan prior to our drive to Mexico…

1 comment: