Friday, October 14, 2011

New Laptop & Old Wireless Connection

For my new old job at Nintendo of America Inc. I got a brand-new laptop! Yep, my IT guy took away my workstation and left me with a pretty Dell laptop. That was over a week ago.

The first day I got my brand-new laptop I took it home with me. I wanted to test the wireless connection and VPN account to make sure I could connect to the internet and to Nintendo’s network from home.

At home Mike has a laptop and I have a laptop and we share a wireless connection through Comcast with a dual modem/router. We’ve had this set-up for more than a year and a half. And it always worked fine. Until I brought the brand-new laptop home from work…and I had to remember the Network Key (password). I dug out my old notes from when we originally set up our network a year and a half ago. And I saw the password that I had written down. So I tried using the password to hook up my brand-new laptop from work into my home wireless network.

Ahhh…but just to make life interesting, the password didn’t work. Subsequently, over the next few hours I tried various passwords and made numerous attempts to simply change my password. (I set up the network – why can’t I change the password??)

Oh and did I mention that I no longer have an IP address on my personal laptop? How in the world did that happen?

ARGHHH!!!

Since that time I have tried novel ideas like trying to ping my personal laptop for the IP address or disabling my network and then attempting to re-install the wireless network software. And poor Mike got on a call with Motorola (manufacturer of our modem/router) for hours…they suggested he call back when he was ready to shell out $30/hr to talk to a Tier II rep who would not be allowed to “run” to our laptops to do the troubleshooting. That could get pricey.

So I plan to sit down Saturday morning and take a fresh shot at figuring it out on my own. OR if that doesn’t work out in the first hour I think I’ll call Moto…wish me luck.

5 comments:

norm said...

At $30 an hour, it seems like you might just pop for a new unit. I bought a new dual system a month ago for about $70. I would buy a different brand just on GP.I write the passwords and product code right on the sending unit as I tend to loose everything.

Tancho said...

You can buy a new wireless router anywhere from 30 to 75 bucks, it will also have new firmware and higher speed software.
Never ever pay for tech support from manufactures who treat you that way.
Worst case, go on the net, I am sure you can find the manual and do a hard reset and reprogram the router.
Just be sure that your Comcast modem is in bridge mode if you have dedicated IP's which I kind of doubt unless you have their businessclass service that includes static IP's..
Good Luck, this message will self destruct in 5 decades.....

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Hi Norm,

Thanks for the ideas. I'm leaning your way in just getting a new router. (Even though I KNOW ours is not broken, it's just upset right now. And there is also the option of leasing from Comcast - that might make the most sense - having their tech guy come out with the equipment and set up our network!

Hi Tancho - Thanks for chiming in. I HATE to pay that money for tech support and I HATE it that I can't figure it out. I have not given up YET...I'll give it another shot tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

hope you solved the problem.

haven't heard from you in a while but i know you're busy. hope to hear from you soon.

i am off to feed the kitties this morning.

take care,

teresa

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Hi Teresa - NO, our wireless problem has yet to be solved!!!