Thursday, April 14, 2011

Resume

I have decided it is time to update my resume to include my current temporary employment assignment. I believe this is a good start in preparing me for my upcoming job search. That said, I am considering a total revamp – maybe altering the style of my resume from chronological to functional. Or perhaps I may even change my resume to reflect a combination of chronological and functional resume features.

I understand that the purpose of a resume is to get my foot in the door and schedule an interview. So how do I make that happen?

Are there any readers out there that work in Human Resources? Does anyone have any suggestions for me? What can I do with my resume in order to stand out from the rest of the crowd?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What I learned and what has been successful is to decide what your strengths are and make a very short opening statement on your resume, that lists maybe three things you do really well. Then, you can do a chronological list but for each job, show how you utilized each of the strengths you mentioned in the opening statement. Also, I would only do that for maybe the last three jobs you've held and then list the rest chronologically. You should also list any volunteer experience you have had.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Oh, I like that idea...say what I'm good at and then indicate where/how I was good at those things. Unfortunately, my last two jobs have not been actual paralegal work, but administrative work, so I may need to adjust accordingly. And I always like to include my volunteer work for the Oregon Govenor's State Employees Food Drive Coordinator. Thank you for the suggestions!

Anonymous said...

i miss your posts. please let us, your faithful readers, have something to look forward to ;-)

tu amiga,

teresa

sthunder74 said...

I hope you are doing ok Cynthia...I miss reading your blog!

Your friend,
Tad

Linda Lou and Senor, Too said...

well what's up with you guys? You have not posted in a long time.

Linda Lou and Senor, Too said...

I posted a comment here long ago and it didn't show up, starting to worry now about you guys. Please let us know how you are! linda lou