Monday, July 25, 2011

The Kenmore Surprise

I first saw it last year. It was in the driveway of a small, run-down rambler not far from where I live. It caught me off guard. It was such a surprise to see it in the driveway of a small, run-down rambler while I was power walking around my ‘hood. I pined for my camera, but it was at home, in a drawer in my office. So I buried the image in my mind, still so surprised to see it in the driveway of a small, run-down rambler.

It was majestic, regal in color, and in stance. It moved slowly, each step deliberate and calculated. It was not afraid of me, yet it did not venture toward me. I called to it, talked to it, held out my hand. It did not come.

It would be months before I saw it again. Even though each time I passed the small, run-down rambler I craved another sighting. And finally it happened – although only for a fleeting moment – I caught a glimpse of it in the same driveway of the small, run-down rambler as I was speeding by in my truck. Oh, if only I had taken the time to turn around and get another long look at the magnificent beauty.

Many more months went by without a sighting. However, on occasion I would hear it. I walk through densely treed environs and although I could not see it, I knew I heard the unique, high-pitched sound that it makes. You see, I had some experience with them many years ago and that unique, high-pitched sound does not ever leave one’s memory. It was around me, near me, but not to be seen.

With only the sound, I coveted the sight. And the more I walked, the more I needed to see it again. I won’t soon forget the early morning I most recently saw it. As I was power walking around my ‘hood, I came around the corner to the driveway of the small, run-down rambler and there it was. No unique, high-pitched sound to warn me – just the grand, stately presence of it standing in the driveway of the small, run-down rambler.

What a sight to see!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, what is "it"?

Anonymous said...

hi cynthia,

i read your post twice because i thought i might have missed what you were talking about. since it does not say, i take it you want us to guess. the only thing that i can think of that is regal looking and has a high pitched sound is a peacock. can`t wait to see if i`m right.

so glad you are back to posting!

having a great time exploring nagoya. details in my weekly e-mail on sat. or sun.

kyotsukete,
teresa

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

YES, it is a peacock! Do they have them in Japan??