Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Spanish class

¡Buenos Noches!

Mike and I are enrolled in an Intensive Spanish I class held at a local community college. We go for 2 hours a night, twice a week and tomorrow is our final class.

Neither of us speaks Spanish (although I took classes YEARS AGO) and it has been challenging! We are learning lots of vocabulary, grammar, verb tenses, masculine vs. feminine usage and plural vs. singular usage. The class size has dwindled over the 5 weeks and only 6 students attended last night. So what does that mean?? It means our professora calls on each of us more often! YIKES One of us (I won't say if it's Mike or me) studies more diligently and has a “relatively easier” time when called upon. The other of us "wings it" and has made some hilarious mistakes which have resulted in making the entire class laugh and applaud.

Our final assignment is to bring in a magazine (Mike’s bringing a Harley HOG Tales and I have a Realtor magazine – who would have guessed, huh?) and we will share our magazines with the other students and describe (in Spanish) the people we see in the magazines.

We'll get a certificate tomorrow night and we plan to register for Intensive Spanish II for winter quarter. We try to use Spanish at home (and with Sitka, our perro) as much as possible, but we both tend to invent our own words when we are stuck. And sometimes I'll throw in some sign language when I am at a loss for the Spanish word. My former sign language teachers would cringe I am sure...

So even though people have advised us that we don’t need to know Spanish to move to Mexico and teach English, we have made several trips to Mexico and always wished we could better communicate and now we’re giving it our best shot.

3 comments:

cmonge said...

¡Hola!

What a faaaabulous idea! We got your card in the mail today, and of course I had to check out your blog -- what a great idea! I think I'm going to start my own as well, although I certainly promise anything remotely fasciniting -- maybe the odd cute/goofy "thing du jour" my niños do, like how Heidi calls her blankie a "grinkie", and how Noah shuns candy with Sorbitol because it gives him "water poop", etc. :)

Then again... I don't have a very good sense of what's "TMI", so maybe it's not duch a good idea... ;-)

When are you two moving?? Hopefully not toooooooooo too soon -- we're certainly going to miss you guys!!

Más adelante, cocodrilo :)

~Caroline

cmonge said...

whoops...

Typo alert:

"duch" = such

Got my nails done for the first time ever, the other day ("French Nails" -- that new place next to the Fiji Tan/Papa Murphy's/Starbucks right here in town), and it's *really* hampering my typing skillz. :-\
:)

Theresa in Mèrida said...

The people who tell you that you don't need to know Spanish to live in Mexico are correct. You can frequent places that cater to foreigners and pay the gringo tax, live in ghettos, um, I mean communities built with ex-pats in mind, feel lost and confused all the time when you go somewhere new, you don't need to know how to speak Spanish.
I agree if you are vacationing somewhere, you probably don't need to learn the language, just a few phrases, but if you live somewhere, you should learn the language.
regards,
Theresa